Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Monday, January 25, 2010

Snowflakes I love

Several years ago I started collecting crocheted snowflakes to put on the Christmas tree. The summer before she got sick, my mom made several for me for my birthday gift, and I love them. I hung them on my Christmas tree, knowing what an effort it had been for Mom to learn to make them, and that she’d enjoyed learning a new handcraft.

The Christmas after Mom died, as I was unpacking my ornaments and decorations, I had a pit in my stomach and an ache in my heart. My mom loved Christmas and I was missing her so much. I called Tonita and we cried a little and she made me feel better. Then I opened the package that held the snowflakes. I literally felt like someone had punched me at first, but soon I was able to be comforted by the love they represented.

Over the years I’ve used the snowflakes well after Christmas as part of my winter decorations. Usually they’re on a small tree that stays up past Easter, but this year I did something a little different. You saw snowflakes hanging on the baker’s rack in my previous post – some are from Mom, but most of those are the ones I purchased.

bbbb

They’re hung using twisted ornament hangers. The ones on the candlesticks just have their strings under the candles so they hang freely.

I wanted something wintry for my few apothecary jars, and filled them part-way with fake snow, then started looking around for something else to tuck inside. Aha! The snowflakes.

1-19-10 057

I love how these came out, so delicate looking.

So while I long for Springtime, I can’t help but enjoy these wintry displays. You see, they warm my heart.

1 comment:

Terri said...

Tammy that is a lovely post. I think those apothecary jars are wonderful with the fake snow and snowflakes.