Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

“Food That Doesn’t Suck”

There is a recent situation in our family that dictates a bit more thought about our menu and method of cooking. Our son was diagnosed with diabetes over the weekend, and while he has no diet restrictions, there are guidelines for what and how much he eats so his insulin level and blood sugars stay balanced. Because he was so incredibly ill when he got to the hospital, he got low-sodium meals, which, let me tell you, DO suck. His discharge papers listed “no diet restrictions”, so this mama has been trying to fill him up with delicious food that follows the diet guidelines he was given. I don’t usually cook for him on a day-to-day basis, but he’s staying here for a few days as he adjusts to the new parts of his daily routine. 

The title for this post comes from his comment about his supper last night, his first meal outside of the hospital in four days. When asked how it was, he said, “This food doesn’t suck!”

Tonight’s supper was one we discussed in the hospital and he’s been looking forward to for a couple of days. My boy (well, he’s 27 years old, but he’s still my “boy”) is not a veggie lover. That’s really an understatement – he’s a veggie hater. I will confess here, because he does not read this blog, that I intend to try to sneak some new-to-him vegetables into the food I make for him. We’ll see how that goes…

Anyway, back to supper tonight. He hates veggies, but will eat peppers and onions. Think, fajitas. Fajitas are delicious, but I wanted to do something a little different. So we planned chicken kabobs.

kabobs

Really simple – pieces of green bell pepper, chunks of onion, and cubes of boneless, skinless chicken breast – all marinated in fat free Italian dressing. I added pieces of portabella mushroom to Greg’s and my kabobs, too. A few minutes on the grill and we had a simple, tasty, nutritious meal that didn’t suck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So that's what happened with Nick! I'm glad he's doing better now, how frightening. I have to laugh at your sneaking vegetables into his diet. Spaghetti sauce is a good place to hide them too.