Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Sunday, January 04, 2009

Winter Gardening

I've been a pretty avid gardener for the past 10 years or so, mostly flowers and a few herbs. I love my fresh herbs all through the summer and fall. On Christmas Day, I had just mentioned to my sister-in-law how I was missing them, and the next gift I opened were these! Dill, chives, and my favorite, basil, each in its own "bag garden". Yea!
Today I finally had enough holiday stuff cleaned up and cleared off the counters that I could set them up. The instructions were pretty simple: cut open the bags, moisten the soil, sprinkle the seeds, cover with a plastic bag, and keep in a warm place. Each came with seeds, soil, and wood chips at the bottom of the bag for drainage.
Here is the dill, before covering the seeds with a little soil.
I set up a little "warm place" on a counter in the sunroom using the heating pad set on LOW, wrapped in a towel, with a plastic lid on top. This should work until the seeds germinate in 5-7 days.
In about six weeks I can use the first basil leaves. Oooh, I can't wait!

1 comment:

Susan in SC said...

What a neat gift! I can't wait to see the first harvest!