Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Big Read

Recently I discovered a book list from The Big Read (posted about it here). Today I read an additional list of books that are on the recommended list from TBR. Have you read many from this list or the other?
The first books I ever owned were a Christmas gift to me in 1969, from my Aunt Jan. They were a boxed set of Heidi and Little Women. I still have them. They are much loved, and look it, but are very special to me. It never occured to me that I could own books. Remember, I lived at the library much of the time. :o)
I said before that Wuthering Heights and The Secret Garden are two of my all-time favorites. Another would be the first book I ever bought for myself, The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. I cried my eyes out when Johnny died - still do when I watch the movie.
So I've bolded the ones I've read. Many of them I've seen as movies, so don't feel compelled to read them. I know. Lots of times they're different. Like Last of the Mohicans. I love, love, love that movie - the only one I've liked Daniel Day Lewis in - and the book is very different, but if I hadn't seen the movie first, I wouldn't have finished the book. And I ended up liking the book very much.
I'm adding an asterisk to the ones I've seen as movies. Just so you know. :o)

Bless Me, Ultima
Fahrenheit 451*
My Ántonia (Can I just say that I am not a Willa Cather fan? Does that make me a bad Nebraskan??)*
The Great Gatsby*
A Lesson Before Dying
The Maltese Falcon *
A Farewell to Arms
Sun, Stone, and Shadows
Their Eyes Were Watching God
To Kill a Mockingbird*
A Wizard of Earthsea
The Call of the Wild *
The Thief and the Dogs
The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter
The Shawl
Housekeeping
The Grapes of Wrath
The Joy Luck Club *
The Death of Ivan Ilyich
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer * (Randy played Tom Sawyer in his elementary school play - and sang a solo - it was so fun!)
The Age of Innocence *
Old School

No comments: